Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Crazy

I moved to Chicago in August of 2011 to pursue comedy improv.  I have been classified as a "character improviser"- and I guess this is pretty accurate description of my performance style.  I enjoy playing big characters- and with that I have been met with many criticisms.  One critique is that my characters are not relatable- "too crazy"- "too weird".  While I do agree with these criticisms, I can't help but continuously fall back to these zany roles.  Many say to play close to myself, but anyone that knows me knows that I am a bit...very....extremely...."zany", "crazy", "weird"- I can't help it- it's me.  I see the world "at a slightly slanted angle" as one instructor at Second City told me during my conservatory class- and it's true.  I enjoy dancing and singing at almost any moment during the day and with that comes weird looks.  I enjoy putting on silly characters- changing my physicality and voice and I do this at all moments of the day.  The world is a stage and I perform all over it.  I was once scolded during a musical improv lesson because I was being "too much of a clown" on the side lines by dancing to the music I was hearing- about 4 months later, that same teacher apologized for that comment saying that he finally understood that it is just who I am.  I am a very different type of person.  I march to my own drummer and that drum is often a very loud, unsynchronized beat that draws a lot of attention.  I've tried to fit in- best I could- and the day I tried to do this was probably the worst day of my life.

The reason I love improv is because I feel like my weirdness is encouraged.  I'm no longer the outcast in society but a perfect fit in this community of misfits.  My favorite kind of characters to play are the ones who are misunderstood- crazy- zany- weird- just like i am- however heightened.  I think it makes me feel a little more normal compared to these extreme walks of life that I bring to the stage.  Some of my training has accepted my way of performing, but many have not.  Lately I have been met with looks of fear and misunderstanding.  It scares me sometimes- I can handle being a weirdo in society; however I can't handle the same critique on stage where I feel like I want to belong.  It has been a very difficult reality to face- that maybe I am just a pure blooded weirdo in all areas of society; however, I dare to continue with my weird ways.  I believe the greatest performers were often the ones who were misunderstood or the ones who took chances and made bold choices.

With that said, in response to all of the critiques I have met- in response to feeling like an outcast by fellow improvisers, I have decided to do my own thing- to be me- to be crazy.

I present my first web series, "Crazy" which features some of my favorite crazy characters that I enjoy playing on stage- many of which have been met with critiques of "over the top" "not relatable" "too crazy" and yes, they may be- but crazy people need a place in society too- right?  Check out my new series "Crazy"- hope you like it!

"Crazy" Episode 1- Crazy Marge Simon

"Crazy" Episode 2- Ruth Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment